Thursday, July 2, 2009

A New Contract

For two months I struggled with a novella. It changed and morphed and stretched and shrunk. But now it's done. And it's under contract - my second with Red Sage. I love this story. Set in Savannah, it's waaaayyyyy hotter than anything I've put out before. It is the story of a divorced couple who are both chefs competing for a job. My hero is deeply flawed and was so real to me that I thought about him nearly every day. I'm hoping it will be released later this year. So be watching for Can't Stand the Heat.

I find my writing is evolving lately to the hotter side of things. The two short stories I'm currently working on are scorching, but my CP tells me they're just what the publisher I am targeting is looking for. Since I'm temporarily taking a break from writing full-length novels, I plan to crank out a lot of these short, hot escapist stories. I find alternating the type and length of stories I write keeps it fresh for me. What do you think?

3 comments:

Katie Reus said...

Yes! I alternate between short and full length b/c it keeps my insane writer head on straight. I couldn't write solely fulls or solely short eroticas or I'd go crazy.

p.s. can't wait to read the new ending to Cant Stand the Heat!

Terry Odell said...

Congrats on the contract. I'm working on just the opposite kind of project -- straight mysteries. I have 2 short stories I hope to sell this summer.

And my mystery novel seems to be veering away from the heat as well. Although I've got 2 characters stuck in a hotel room at the moment. I haven't figured out how to play it, since the detective should be the main character, and he's not paired with anyone. At least not yet.

Dara Edmondson said...

Katie - I think I should have started alternating a while ago, too.
Terry - Thanks! Good luck with your stories. I really enjoyed the red shirt story!