Thursday, December 18, 2008

Happy Holidays vs Merry Christmas

I keep hearing that people are sick and tired of not being able to say "Merry Christmas" to strangers because it is sometimes politically incorrect. They say they refuse to wish people "Happy Holidays" just because it's more inclusive. This year, I'm hearing more and more Christmas wishes. Yes - it's the old backlash against politically correct.
But you know what? It irritates many of us to be told we should enjoy a holiday we don't celebrate. I'm much more comfortable with the generic "Happy Holidays." Sorry if that offends anyone, but why do people assume the customers they wait on or the workers that help them are Christian? Isn't that prejudice?
Now I have no problem with someone you know wishing you the best whatever holiday you celebrate - that's appropriate. But if you don't know me, please don't make assumptions about me.
Okay - I'll step off my soap box and wish everyone the best of holidays. May your cup runneth over, may your load be light and may your journey be safe.

3 comments:

Terry Odell said...

Move over, make some room. I'll join you on your soap box. While it's true that if you grabbed 100 people off the street in this town, nearly all of them would celebrate Christmas, I get just a tad annoyed when people assume it's my holiday as well.

I don't discuss religion or politics, and my surname name isn't tied to my faith, so I'm not surprised that people assume I'm joining them in the holiday spirit.

What really fries me is when people who do know me send me faith-based greeting cards. If I'm just one more name on their card list, cross me off.

I don't send cards anymore. But I've often wondered what people would think if I sent everyone on what used to be my "Happy Holidays" card list Hanukkah cards. I've often smiled and responded "Happy Hanukkah" to people who wish me a Merry Christmas. I mean, if they want me to enjoy their holiday, who am I to say they shouldn't enjoy mine.

Dara Edmondson said...

Terry - I totally see the wisdom of not discussing religion or politics. Unfortunately, with politics, I can't seem to keep my mouth shut!

Terry Odell said...

LOL, Dara -- About the ONLY times I keep mine shut is when it's politics or religion. (Although I almost posted a blog about the White House's invitation to a Hanukkah party that had a picture of a Christmas scene on the front. I just might have to break down and post that one.