Thursday, August 30, 2007

My Grandmother's Chandelier


Today we had an electrician install a new light fixture in my dining room. No, not new, actually. It's very old. My grandmother's chandelier hung in my parents' dining room since she passed away thirty years ago - until my folks sold their house a few months ago. The new owner said she was modernizing and asked if they wanted it. They posed that question to me. It didn't seem all that important at the time except the one I had in my dining room was modern and had shades - UGH! Totally not my style. So I agreed. They had it shipped a thousand miles and it arrived without even a broken bulb.
Now that it's up, I'm so glad I got it. I have tons of things from my grandmother - she and I were very close. But there's something about this chandelier that touches me where most of the other pieces don't.
The electrician complained. The wires were old and had no ground. (We'll have to get it rewired). The bulbs were so old we'd never be able to find exact replacements. The gold was dirty and showed years of neglect. I shined it up and dusted off his comments. I love it. Every time I turn it on I can almost hear my grandmother's voice, feel her arms around me. I suddenly remembered things, like the birthmark on her hand, the smell of the Channel Christalle perfume she loved, the way she'd watch the dance moves and songs I'd made up and tell me how wonderful they were.
I'm so happy to have her light shining.

8 comments:

Kelley Nyrae said...

Thats so cool! I'm glad you were able to get it.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Wow - what a great post!! I'm taking care of my gram this weekend and I love every moment we can spend together (she's 92.) I love it when we joke around. When certain expressions go across her face, the years melt away and she's the Gram I had when I was a kid.

And I love old things and lighting fixtures - I'm sure I'd love your grandmother's chandelier.

April said...

That is terrific! I'm glad you have it too and poo to the electricians. What do they care, you're paying them to do the work... They can just do it ;o) i'm sure your grandmother would be very pleased to know where it's hanging!

Anonymous said...

Wow thats very cool! Post some pics!

Dara Edmondson said...

Thanks, ladies. Posting a pic.

acdaisy95 said...

Hi Dara,

I enjoyed your interview with Coffee Time Romance. That's kind of cool that you writing with your daughter.

Tempest Knight said...

Oh, I love the chandelier! Looks like the one my granny used to have in her living room.

Dara Edmondson said...

Acdaisy95 - please email me at ddedmon88@yahoo. com (no spaces) to claim a prize.