Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Sleepless in the South


Okay - it's late at night, everyone in the house is snoozing blissfully - everyone but me, that is. I don't know if I have insomnia or I just can't clear my brain long enough to shut down and play a few dreams. DH is snoring annoyingly. He can sleep standing on his head in the middle of an amusement park. Well - I exaggerate. But he never has trouble sleeping.

I, on the other hand, am often plagued by nights like tonight when I don't have a sleepy bone in my body. Sometimes I wake up hours before I need to, wide awake, raring to go.

That doesn't bother me - actually, I like it. It gives me more time to get stuff done. DH makes fun of the early rising thing. You see, I'm very productive early in the morning. Many days, I'll have done a load of laundry, written a chapter and gone grocery shopping before anyone else is up.

Actually, I've written some of my best scenes late at night or early in the morning. Everything is so quiet - it's easy to concentrate. What about you? Do you sleep until noon when you can, or are you like me - up at the dawn of crack when you don't have to be?

3 comments:

Macy O'Neal said...

I'm an early riser, too, but with four dogs (two of whom are greyhounds with impeccible internal clocks) I never sleep much past 6. At this time of year, however, I'd like to sleep in.

Kelley Nyrae said...

I think the part with your hubby is a man thing because my husband is the same way. Can sleep anywhere at any time!

Katie Reus said...

I'm exactly like you. On Saturdays or Sundays I've usually written half a chapter, walked the dog, and gone grocery shopping by the time my hubby is even thinking about getting up. I definitely wasn't like that in college, but now that I get up early during the week I can't sleep past 7 even if I tried.