Thursday, March 15, 2007

Goin' for Goal Gold

Yeah, I know it's hard to say - sorry. But I'm doing some serious word counts these days, thanks to a workshop I attended in January with Goal Goddess Roxanne St. Claire. I've done over 30,000 words in about 2 weeks. With a daily goal of 2,000, I'd say I'm surpassing the minimum. I've come to the conclusion that I'm using my writing as an escape. You see, I'm not handling my son's impending 18th birthday well or the upcoming graduation and entry into the collegiate world. I keep having dreams where my kids are very young and I realize I've gone back in time. All I want to do is keep them young and spend more time with them.
The evolution of a book is almost the opposite. When it's young and new, it's hard to like. I hate spending time with it until I figure out exactly what it will grow to be. Then, as it matures and takes on characteristics I hadn't even expected, I can't wait to write the words. As it nears a full-grown book, I'm so excited to push it out of the nest and see how well it flies. I celebrate when I'm all through raising it.

No comments: